Monday, February 22, 2010

Another modification

I did a nest count on end-Jan about 1 month after I hacked the wall to made the roving area bigger, no increase in nests count. When I did another nest count on 19-Feb, I found 4 new nests. It seem like the new design help to attract more birds.

I still find that the light is too bright. So, during this CNY, I used unused banner to made a partition about 13 feet from the entrance hole. Just use screwed to screw one end of banner on plank and used bricks and sand board to pull the banner at the other end. Easy and fast.


5 comments:

  1. Do you have a good consultant to advise you? To save time, I would suggest you engage a truly experienced farmer to help you. Your renovation is no good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you let me know which things are not right beside the brightness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your main concern is cutting cost. In renovation, the main objective is to entice this swiftlet to stay. Knowledge is the most important, that is why I suggest you engage a good, experienced and knowledgeable person to help you. Mind you, those who talk alot may not be the right person. It is too far for me to help you and I don't earn this living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are talking about the partition using banner, the idea is come from my friend that has 400 nests in 9 months. Anyway, I am going to change it to wooden or sand board partition during my next visit.

    I will also paint more black paint on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yen Yen House,

    I am wondering how many swiftlets farmers in Kudat and surrounding area? It is amazing your friend managed to get 400 nests in 9 months. What is your latest count of your nests? Maybe we should consider pooling resources and build more BH, making this an important industry in Kudat. Your comments and friemds' comments please. Email me at paulym51@gmail.com.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete