Friday, February 13, 2009

Vent Holes

When I first discussed with my consultant about the design of Vent hole, he told me he preferred NO VENT HOLE!! I was a bit shock as all the seminars that I attended did mention about the need of VH. Some blogger did suggest to block most of the VH at the earlier stage of BH, so that aroma in the BH do not dissipate out very fast.

According to my consultant, you can't control the external condition. Some time the weather is more windy, some time very hot and no wind. If you have a lot of VH, that mean your BH micro condition will fluctuate according to the external condition.

On the other hand, you can control the internal condition. You can increase the humidity and reduce the temperature by setting the Hygrostat set point higher, have more humidifiers and etc.

Although it make sense to me, but to play safe, I requested him to design 4 Vent holes for me and block all of them. So, in case it does not work, I still can open up the VH. Below is my BH's VH before completion. The completed design is with the L-shape PVC tube inside the BH.

After 3 months of operation even during this dry session, my BH temp still well within 26 to 30 degC

2 comments:

  1. yr Rh seems to be very unstable. That is why the b.shit has not increased. This has to do with Vh pipe. Water works with air to push up Rh. To many Vh no..no.. No Vh also no..no... that is for you to find out.Ask yr consultant as you had paid him. If you are lucky he can tells u if not he may not even know the answer.That is the fun part of Swiftlet farming!

    Good luck.

    Regards
    James
    www.swiftletfarmer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    Thanks for your comment. If you look the chart carefully, the humidity is very stable at day time. Only night time the humidity drop when I OFF the humidifier from 7pm onward till 7am morning. I am going back this weekend to extend the humidifier operating hours.

    ReplyDelete