Monday, September 28, 2009

Upgrade 4

As promised, I will let you know what I consider as most important upgrade for my BH but has been long overdue. My good friend has been advised me to open the opening (highlighted in Red) few months ago. But because the number of nest was growing at that time, so I put on hold first.

Why he advised me to open?
1) If I don't open, birds cannot see the inner opening hole from outside. So, it will take longer time for new birds to explore my BH.

2) Birds need to fly 180 deg to go into my BH. Not a very smooth flying path.

3) Although this entrance hole help to reduce the light go into BH (180deg turn), but it only favour for CCW flying birds and only allow bird fly in one direction (2 o'clock).

Remember if given a choose between 1) darkness and 2) easy entrance, always choose the easy entrance as more important factor. Although the bigger entrance hole will cause more light into BH and more difficult to control the micro, you can always make some hanging partitions to block the light later on.


The Opening Ceremony start on 26-Sept-2009 with the help from my uncle. FOC.



You may notice that there is a beam between the new and old entrance hole. Actually I wanted to hack away, but most of my friends advice not to hack away as it violet the safety issue. If official come and check, I will have problem to fix back.


I used mosquito nest to cover the hole between ceiling and roof instead of brick. This is to allow air free to circulate between the roof and ceiling.

Actually later on, I also use orchid nest to cover another layer just to make sure the heat going in is reduced (not shown in pic).

Actually I seed a lot of my friends advice including well know sifu. With the help of friends, you too can be your own BH consultant.

I hope to hear your comments on my latest upgrade.

2 comments:

  1. Instead of orkid net do consider waterproof plywood. The other day noticed my place selling for ~rm50 if not mistaken 1mX1.5m something like tat. Better seal off permanently so no predator can enter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestion. I think to play safe, I will use another layer of mosquito nest made of metal. The reason I do not want to seal up the opening is that I want the hot air under the roof able to move out freely to cool down the BH further.

    ReplyDelete